Strangely enough, my heart rate went up over the course of the session. I counted 62 beats in the first minute and 71 beats in the last. I guess I need to keep practicing! Then again, considering that I had less than a breath per minute for over half an hour, it is a good start.
I wrote a new plugin that outlines breathing patterns that can be followed with no need for any hardware. This is my first test run; the line shows the level at which my lungs were filled. The selected minute shows a brief inhalation with the heartbeat climbing to distribute the fresh air, then a long retention and finally an exhalation to a ratio of 1:4:2. I managed to keep this up for a good 30 minutes.